Following your bliss is not self-indulgent, but vital; your whole physical system knows that this is the way to be alive in this world and the way to give to the world the very best that you have to offer. There IS a track just waiting for each of us and once on it, doors will open that were not open before and would not open for anyone else. - Joseph Campell

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

immortals

I watched Immortals yesterday too.  First off, my friend Katie saw it in the theater with her husband, and told me at the time that she was appalled by the violence. With that said, I was prepared going in for a slaughter.  Secondly, I actually do like Tarsem's movies. I really liked The Cell, and The Fall was the movie I broke my big TV in with.  It looked amazing.  Finally, I love Henry Cavill.  ::sigh::

With all that said, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to think.  I was quite surprised that I liked it as much as I did.  It is Tarsem full throttle. Every shot was just gorgeous.  Eiko Ishioka's costumes fit perfectly with Tom Foden's design.  Coupled with all the gorgeous people, this was just eye candy beginning to end.  With a wee bit of violence thrown in.  What I wasn't expecting was actually being engaged with the story. Not that there was much of one, but enough that towards the end I found myself actually thinking about the story.  Shocking!!  This was not the experience I had with Clash of the Titans.  I was not engaged at all with that film, and actually found myself doing stuff around the house while watching it.  Not good.  So yeah, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  Yes, the violence was a bit much, but I have this thing where the more stylized the violence is the more I can handle it.  It is realistic violence that I have a problem.  The news upsets me more than a CGI head getting sliced in half. 

Oh Henry!! Bottom line though, it was all about Henry, and how beautiful he looked.  I have been in love with him since I Capture the Castle. Oh goodness me.  You know though, I don't know what I think about him being Superman.  My little sidebar on this is all about Clark Kent.  Yes, I totally see Henry being Superman. I just don't see him being Clark Kent. Not Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent anyway.  I have to say that Clark Kent is my favourite thing about Superman.  I really don't know how that is going to play out. I can tell you that I am freaking out about Amy Adams being Lois Lane. Pure casting genius.  Kate Bosworth was a horrible Lois.  I think Amy will be brilliant. A sidebar to my sidebar, is that I really like Brandon Routh a lot, and I feel really bad for him.  I don't know if he was channeling too much of Christopher that it kind of got in the way.  I thought he was was really good.  Unfortunately he got lost under the weight of a bad story, and having no chemistry whatsoever with Kate.  Anyway, I am really excited for the new Superman, more than the new Spiderman.  Wow, I got way off topic.  :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover